On our way from Phoenix to my parents home in Southern Utah, we passed by the small town I grew up in. Its population is only about 7,ooo, and the town is 16 sq. miles. The nearest city is about 150 miles away. I loved growing up there. My childhood was bliss, and I thought all families were as happy as mine. I realize now that my parents worked very hard to give me that experience. I grew up in a home that was on the edge of the mesa and faced out over the canyons in the picture. I used to just sit on our front steps and watch the sunset. It is so beautiful, and to drive through there this past week brought back a lot of wonderful memories. Something many don't know about me is that I worked at the local scenic airport fueling the small planes like the one in the picutre. It was a great job, and nice to be outside. I would drive the big fuel truck up, pull off the ladder, put on the big gloves, and fill them up. I did get to go on a few tours over the lake and the Grand Canyon while I worked there.
This is a picture of slot canyon. we always called it the skinny caves. It has become a tourist site now and very regulated, but when we were kids we could just drive out to it and hang out. We would build big bon fires at night and have a great time walking through trying to scare each other. It actually took a lot of skill to avoid taking off your head on the ledges.
This is another scenic sight outside of page a few miles. It is called the horseshoe. If you floated down the river you would end up in the Grand Canyon. You can see why I might like to move back to this part of the country. Despite the lack of greenery, it is so beautiful. Maybe if I fill my house with pictures like this, it will grow on Moss too...
4 comments:
I have very different memories of Arizona. I just remember sweat, sweat, and more sweat. Oh yes, and dust. And outdoor laundromats where the washers and dryers were on the side of the road. :) It will be very interesting to see where you guys end up.
I love the pics. That is my kind of life! JessB
Wow, seeing these photos are bringing back a flood of great memories! We really need to have a reunion one of these days! :)
Amen, Tammy! We truly had the best experience growing up in Page. Look how beautiful it is....good memories. I will always be grateful for the awesome people I was surrounded by in my youth. You know the saying, "it takes a community (or town) to raise a child.." or something to that effect. It's so true. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment